Sunday, September 03, 2006

I cannot believe I did 16 miles!

Yesterday was the big day...well, one of the big days! It was the 16 mile course for training, and we did it. Derek and I both finished ALL 16 miles! I cannot believe that I actually did it. It seems like yesterday that I was worrying about 6 miles and how I was going to complete it. Now I have done so much more. I was very nervous before the run, and I had trouble actually sleeping the night before. But I kept telling myself that it is only 2 more miles than before...trust me 2 more miles after your run 14 does not feel like that much.

So, the course to me was the hardest yet. We went up this hill that seemed to NEVER stop. It was about 2 to 3 miles, and I literally wanted to kiss the ground when we finally got off that part of the course. It was the hardest part and luckily it was early in the mileage. After that it did not seem that bad. Now I am not saying that it was a breeze by any means or that I want to go out and run 16 miles today, but it got easier. All the training and work is beginning to pay off!

So what does one think about for 16 miles? Lots of stuff. I really try not to think about the physical pain or aches because I if I dwell on it, then I could convince myself to stop. I think about my Mom and her battle with cancer. I think about how lucky I am to have such a fabulous support system, and how much I love and adore my parents! I think about why I am doing this marathon. I think about the satisfaction that I will feel when I have completed the mileage. When I really want to stop....I tell myself so MANY people have donated lots of hard earned money to help with our marathon and the fight against cancer....AND that thought alone does not let me quit! I think about a lot of stupid things too! Like I wonder what song is next on my Ipod or I wonder who lives in that house.

How does one feel after 16 miles? TIRED! Your muscles are tight and you feel like you really cannot move. Driving back home for San Antonio and getting out of the car....is quite funny to watch I am sure! The next day is not so bad though. For me personally, it always my feet that hurt. They just are a constant ache for the next couple of days after the run but only when I walk. Really my body is not sore....just physically tired.

And finally...I ran at a "faster" (fast...is a relative term.) this time. I had been running about a 13 minute and 20 second pace....this time it was 12 minutes and 56 seconds!!! I finished the 16 miles in 207 minutes...that is 3 hours and 27 minutes. I was hoping to finish it in 3 hours and 30 minutes....so I finished a little faster. I was really excited about that!

So that is it for the weekly ramble about running! Next week we go back down to 10 miles and then up to 18 miles the following week! Wow! The marathon is so close that I cannot believe it or that I am going to do it. One final note, before the runs we have what is called "mission moments." Someone shares why they are doing this or how they got involved with Team in Training. This past week a woman shared that she lost her husband 10 years ago to a form of blood cancer....2 years later a medicine was developed through research that could have helped him. The money we are raising can help! The cure could be tomorrow...hope is what we have. So if you have not donated, think about that your dollar could go to something much bigger than you. AND a big THANK YOU to all of you that have donated!!!

No comments: