Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Good News Today from MD Anderson!!!

We got the results back from the testing that my Mom had yesterday. It was good news!

Her Tumor Marker has gone down and is lower now then when she first came here.
(Tumor Marker is a blood test. The tumor excretes a protein that can be found in the blood.) Apparently her Tumor Marker was about 173ish when she first came here, and then the highest it got was in the 300's while waiting to start treatment. NOW, it is like 162....Sorry, can't remember the exact numbers. The Tumor Marker is not an exact test but it typically corresponds with what the scans show...and it did!! The spot on her liver is barely visible now. The actual tumor on the pancreas is the same size but the doctor said that it appears to have changed in density. (This one is hard to explain without the visual.) The doctor said that color of the tumor on the scan was a little different, which usually means it is changing in density. The changing in density typically means that the treatments are working. (Did everyone get that?!)
In a nutshell.....all good news today!!!

Her bloodwork was still good. A little low on magnesium, but not low enough for the IV Bag at treatment. They just said eat a little more magnesium enriched foods. Her red blood cells were still a little low, but have really always have been. They gave her another hemoglobin shot today as well.

So, she has started her 7th chemo treatment. She will not have another CT Scan for 6 more weeks. They have kept her at the same dosage because she is tolerating it all well.

Tomorrow morning she will have chemo again and we will head back home after it is over. I actually made a request for a different chemo unit today to my Mom's nurse. We have been in the same 2 chemo units all this time. One of them is called the bed unit and the other the chair unit. I call the chair unit the "ghetto" unit. Apparently, it was one of the first units, but it is not comfortable...well, for me it is not comfortable. Yes, I know I am not getting chemo, but the office chair for a few hours is not pleasant. The bed unit has recliners along witht the beds for my Mom, so I wanted to go to the new chemo unit. I am looking forward to seeing what is like in the ACB Building (this is the new building at MD Anderson). I call it the "other side of the tracks" because it is so much nicer than the other building. There are recliners in the waiting areas, TVs, computers....just a different scenery too! So I will let you know how "my" chemo experience is! Haha!

I think we were both relieved to get the news today. It was very uplifting to hear. Although there is still a long ways to go, this was another milestone my Mom has overcome. I am so excited for her and proud of her during this battle. I know it has not been easy for her, but she has handled herself with grace and courage. I love her dearly!

No comments: