Thursday, September 14, 2006

"My" Chemo Experience and other stupid trivia!

So this is me today in my "redneck" recliner. Yes, I know it looks comfortable. Not all of us could be so lucky to have this type of seating for almost 3 hours. I had to fight my Mom away from it.

I told you I would let you know what it was like on the "other side of the tracks" in the other chemo unit. I had been hoping for this chemo unit for a while. I was thinking it was going to be grand compared to the bed and chair units that we had been in. I mean all the waiting rooms have recliners, nice over-sized chairs, couches, foot stools....basically much more comfortable. I was thinking the chemo units must be incredible. Let me first tell you the bed and chair unit are very small rooms with a small bed. The bed unit has recliners in all rooms, but the chair unit has 2 recliners in the total of 20 rooms in the unit and the rest are office chairs.

So, today we head to chemo and I am pumped up about this nap I am going to take in this big recliner. They were running late...45 minutes late....past my Mom's appointment time. So I went to check us out of the hotel while she waited. When I come back she has been called back and I locate my lovely mother in Room 14. Well, she is just waiting to see my reaction to this room (she tells me this later). I walk in and look around....NO RECLINERS...two office chairs. My Mom tells me that she has already told the nurse I was wanting a relciner. Now, we never figured out why there were 2 office chairs when there were signs all over that stated "Only ONE Visitor at a time."

So, I told her I would just make my own recliner and take a nap. I am sure the nurse that I was crazy, but it would not be the first person at MD Anderson to think that. I did finally get a blanket and pillow, and I did take about an hour NAP in that position. It really was not that bad. My Mom just giggled at me the whole time. At least they were newer office chairs.

My Mom told me to be careful what I wished for...so now I just want to only go to the bed unit where I know there are recliners. Smaller rooms and smaller tvs....but they have recliners.

So all this got me to thinking about the interesting things at MD Anderson....or things that my Mom and I sometimes discuss. Here is the list I composed during chemo today:


acb chemo not as good as thought no recliners...just 2 office chairs. Bigger
room and nicer tv. And nicer sink, which my mom pointed out.

They plant all flowers in perfect rows. Which we have seen changed out 4
times since we have been coming to Houston. What do they with all those plants?

They change out the pictures in the rooms. They have volunteers that are only in charge of this. This really happens...when my Mom was in a room, someone came by and asked her if she wanted the art work changed out. Talk about details!


Much better food selection at ACB building....or maybe its just different.


Lots of fish tanks everywhere. Saw the first dead fish this trip.

They have carts to take you down the 1/4 mile sky bridge. It is for patients and family only apparently because some girls got asked to get off by the driver when there were patients waiting.

How many straws do they go through in that entire hospital?

My Mom has had all the nurses in one unit...the dreaded chair unit. But her favorite will always be Allen! HA! (Long story...but it is funny!)

Oh, got a parking ticket in downtown this trip. Chipotle was not so cheap that night! Sorry!

So that is all the rambling that I have for now. Thank you again for the support and love. I will post a few more pictures from today! Posted by Picasa

No comments: