Well, it is a done deal now. Team in Training (TNT) has officially started. We have started raising money, and yesterday we attended the Kick-Off Celebration in San Antonio. There will be over 200 people participating in TNT this season with San Antonio Chapter. With this many people participating, there is the potential to raise over $500,000.00 to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. That is just San Antonio alone!
The TNT Celebration was yesterday morning from 9am to about 11am. We had breakfast, got our pictures taken, got our practice jerseys and listened to some amazing stories. We heard stories from our "Honored Heroes," past participants and the amazing things the society is doing in terms of research funding. The "Honored Heroes" are people that have cancer and provide a personal connection to cancer.
It was a different experience going to the Celebration. I am not sure how to explain it, but it definitely gives you a sense that anything is possible. I personally felt like, "I know I can do this!"
Our "official" training begins next Saturday at 6:30am with a 3 mile run. Every Saturday following that will increase in mileage! (Yikes!)
We will find out Derek's ankle status on Monday at the doctor's appointment, but he says if he cannot run then he will walk. He is still planning on participating in some compactly with the event. (We will keep you updated.)
So we were on our way home from the celebration to go have lunch with a friend, and then we had another snag with our plan. We had a blowout on I-35 in San Antonio. Oh, yes driving down the road and the front driver side tire lost rubber and went flat. Of course I was in the far left lane, so I had to pull over on this very small shoulder. Derek is on crutches and I do not know how to change a tire....good times! Luckily Derek has AAA! So we called and about 45 minutes later we had Jason come and change the tire. By the way he did it in 12 minutes!! 12 minute tire change in a tight shoulder with traffic flying by us! We were impressed. I told Derek I would still be looking at where to begin and trying to figure out what tools I needed.
So that was the exciting adventure yesterday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment