Sunday, June 11, 2006

Have we lost our minds....

Yesterday, we signed up for a marathon...or should I say a half-marathon in San Francisco, CA and we brought home a new kitten to our house. This was all done by 2pm yesterday.

I suppose I need to explain some things first. A few days ago I received a mailer for Team in Training. This is a fundraising event for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It is a way to help cancer patients, families and research. It is also about having control over something in my life that right now control is lacking.

So I called Derek at work and asked if he would like to run a marathon or half of one with me. I told him I know it sounded crazy because exercise is pretty much non-exsistant in my life. Derek on the other hand has been running for a few months now....not marathon distance but running.

So, we attended the meeting yesterday. We each have to raise $3,900.00 by October 11,2006. We will be running in the Nike Marathon in San Francisco, CA on October 22nd. We have committed ourselves to raise the money and to run 13.1 miles (half a marathon).

Then we got a new kitten....named Keke. It is a 9 week old girl kitten. We had no plans of getting another animal, but we went to Petco to cat food and Derek suckered me into it. She is adorable, but as my Mom stated we are going to need a bigger house just for all the animals in our house. We now have 2 lab dogs and 2 cats. Oh well!

So I decided to create this blog for us to chronicle our progess in life and our journey together with marathon training. We will have a donation website for each of us, and I will post those links when it is all set-up.

Training for the marathon starts this week, and my Mom's chemo treatment starts this week too. It will be a challenging week in more ways than one. Let the journey begin.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think derek getting hurt will give you time to catch up to him and probably pass him in training. i know how committed you are when you have a goal.

i am really proud of both of you for doing this.

love, jan