Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Yes, we made 20 miles!

Who would have ever thought that I would be telling you that I completed 20 miles running/walking? Well, I did (& so did Derek) and we both were able to beat the goals we had set for ourselves before the run! Derek finished in 3 hrs and 55 min (11 min 45 sec pace) and his goal was 4 hours. I finished in 4 hrs and 13 min (12 min 35 sec pace). My goal was 4 hrs and 30 min, and I actually beat my18 mile time too.

We were both very pleased with our runs on Saturday. The 20 miles actually seemed easier than the 18 mile run....yes, you read that right! I am not sure if it was the weather, all the water I drank (2+ gallons) on Friday or what, but the run was not as bad. The first 10 miles, I actually felt pretty good but then it was pretty tired between miles 11-12 and 18-19. BUT...I did it!

That was our last long run before the marathon. This Saturday we have 12 miles and then the next Saturday is 8 miles. THEN the marathon!!

So, this is the downhill stretch for training. We both feel pretty confident after the 20 mile run that we can do the 26.2 miles. It is only 6.2 miles and it will be marathon day with new scenery, 10,000+ people and a lot of excitement!!

I actually did another first on Saturday...I carried on a conversation with someone during miles 10 through 18. (They did not run with me except during those miles...I was not just ignoring them or could not speak!) I was impressed with myself for that factor because I had never done that before nor ever wanted to talk during a run. It made the time pass faster and I truly enjoyed the conversation. It gave me a renewed outlook on several things...which I will share eventually!

So there we have it....20 miles are under our belt...on to the marathon! Also, since my last post donations have been coming in still. We are up to $9,918!! That is crazy....crazier than us running this marathon! Ha! So thank you to all that have donated and the continuing support for my Mom and our family!

No comments: