Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Less than two weeks til the marathon

I can’t believe the marathon is almost upon us. I remember when we went to the Team in Training sign up meeting. I think we both knew we would commit to doing the marathon but we didn’t know how. At the meeting I was still on crutches from my softball injury. People were looking me with confused facial expressions when looking at the crutches, especially when I told them I was running too.

We are both getting excited. Not only for our vacation but actually for the marathon. Thinking about the 26.2 miles is still very scary but we both know we can do it. There will be no records broken…wait, there will be two records broken. Crystal and I will both have our best recorded time in a marathon. We’ve got that going for us. Which is nice.

Here is a picture from training (just so you believe that I’m running).


I think I will sign up to be a mentor for Team in Training within the next year. Having those folks at practices to help you stay motivated and give you pointers is great and I would like to help people get through the training. I can definitely get tough at times both with the training and the fund raising.

Speaking of fundraising, can you believe we have raised almost $12,000? That is amazing and we thank all of you who have donated. Every amount will go towards finding new treatments and ultimately a cure for cancer.

Crystal and Gayle are off to Houston today for the next round of chemo. I just want to say how proud I am of Crystal, Gayle, and Tommy. This time is tough for everyone. Sometimes you don’t know how to act. Sad, happy, mad, oblivious, and many other feelings. I look at Crystal and her family and I’m happy to be a part of it. They stay strong throughout the process and that is tough. Sure, there are good days and bad days but seeing them together makes me know that everything will eventually be okay.

Well, that’s enough rambling from me today.

No comments: