I am copying the email that Derek sent out after the marathon...sorry, I have yet to compose my own! Below you will find Derek's thoughts about the race.
***************************************************************************************
Live from beautiful California. The day after and we are still alive (sorry folks, I started writing this on Monday AM but I am just finishing it).
We can’t believe that the marathon is actually over. I’m going to do my best to recap it for you all in a little (maybe not) email.
Saturday we went to our huge “Pasta Party”. Out of the 15,000 participants in the Nike Women’s Marathon, about 4500 were from Team In Training (the most of any marathon in the country). During the day Saturday we all went and had some more carbs to get ready for the race. They also let us know how much money Team In Training raised for the event but I’ll tell you that later. Joan Benoit Samuelson, the winner of the 1984 Olympic Gold medal in the Women’s marathon spoke at the lunch along with a few honored heroes with some touching stories. It was a great celebration. Probably the best part was when we walked into the convention center where the lunch was served. About 500 people, Team In Training staff, friends, family, cancer survivors, and many others lined the walkway and cheered us as we walked into the center. There wasn’t a dry eye in the group. It was awesome.
Race Day began pretty early. We met with our team at 5:45am to take some pictures and get some last minute instructions. We then made the trek down to Union Square where the marathon was to begin. Basically, think about 15,000 people all standing around in the streets of one square block. It was an awesome sight. Everyone was nervous and ready to get the show on the road. We stood in the street and tried to stretch but it was tough with all the people. When the gun finally sounded nobody really moved since there were so many people. We walked and scooted til about 50 feet before the actual starting gate. It took 7 minutes just to get to the gate. Then we started our trek. Crystal and I ran together for about the first mile and a half. We were just kinda taking it in and there were so many people that you couldn’t really go anywhere.
I’ll spare you details of the course but I will give you and overview. Some big hills, some beautiful views, and a bunch of women. There were only about 400 guys out of 15,000. The ratio was NICE. After Crystal and I split up the race went down Fisherman’s Wharf by all the piers. People lined the street with signs and some of the workers of the businesses where out cheering as well. We continued down the waterfront and all the sudden the Golden Gate Bridge was there. It was an awesome sight. The fog was under the bridge so much that you couldn’t see the water. I will remember that sight for a while. Crystal said she saw Alcatraz but I guess I wasn’t paying attention. Some big hills followed. Our training definitely helped because the largest hill on the course was my third best mile time. That’s enough about them. The next 4-5 miles meandered through some housing and hills and hills and streets then all the sudden we came out on the Great Highway next to the ocean. We ran down the oceanfront on the Great Highway for a few miles then turned left into Golden Gate Park. Here came a crucial point in the marathon, the split for full marathon and half marathon. It was a tempting sight to merge right at mile 12 and finish or veer left and run 14.2 more miles (that .2 is a very big deal that I will discuss later). Of course we wouldn’t quit halfway through, we came to finish the whole thing and nothing would stop us.
Golden Gate Park was beautiful. We ran through the Japanese Tea Gardens, saw some buffalo, and just like everywhere else there where tons of people there rooting you on. After Golden Gate Park we were back on the Great Highway. The waves were crashing onto the beach and the fog was heavy over the area. It was almost cold. We had our names on our race jerseys and had them decorated with our honored heroes (Gayle and Taylor). People would yell your name as you ran by. That really helped to keep you going. Remember I mentioned that this marathon has the largest number of Team In Training participants. TNT supporters were everywhere. They would yell, “Great job Derek”, “Keep it up”, “Looking good” etc. Hearing your name really helped as the miles kept adding up. Probably the most motivational thing I saw was signs from cancer survivors along the roadway. I heard a lady say “I am alive because of you”. Now you tell me if that doesn’t make you hold your head a little higher as your legs are burning and you want to quit. I know she wasn’t talking directly to me but she was talking to the Team In Training group which we are a part of.
We took a left at Lake Merced. It sucked. About 6 miles around this lake with a ton of cars and it went from being cold next to the water to hot. The only cool thing was people were honking and yelling. Made it around the lake, barely. My hamstrings started to cramp at about mile 21. Only 5.2 miles to go. I stopped to stretch a couple of times and plugged on. As I passed the mile marker for mile 22 the legs were burning, I had salt crystals all over my face from the sweat, ants were passing me (just kidding), and I guess that is where I hit the proverbial “wall”. So what did I do? I stepped in the trees and took a leak. It’s good to be a guy. As I started running again I thought to myself, “I run 4.2 miles at home all the time and its no big deal, you can do this”. That last 4.2 miles was one of the toughest things I can remember, EVER.
We turned back onto the Great Highway and proceeded toward the finish. The mile markers seemed like they were spaced a lot further apart. That was very inconsiderate of them to make that mistake at the end of the race. A straight road with the ocean on your left, the waves crashing, people yelling, and less than 3 miles to go.
Cramps again. Stretch a little more. Mile marker 25. 1.2 miles left. Be tough. Finish strong. Remember what other people are going through that makes this little marathon seem like a cake walk. Do it for the people who supported you. Those people who gave their hard earned money to this cause. Your friends. Your coworkers. Your family. Do it for Jan. Do if for Don. Do it for Donovan. Do it for Taylor and her family. Do it for Tommy and Gayle. Do it for your best friend, your wife, Crystal. And do it for yourself.
Then it happened. The finish line was there. It seemed like a million people were there. Yelling, screaming, cheering. For me. It was a feeling I’ll never forget when I crossed it. I grabbed the Tiffany necklace and looked around for some ice for my hamstrings. I went and got my finishing t-shirt. It says “Ran Like A Girl” and it is baby blue. I’m going to wear that mofo proudly too.
I turned around and watched for Crystal. After completing the marathon there was only one thing I wanted in the world right then. I wanted to see my wife. I wanted to see her cross the finish line.
I didn’t get to see her cross the line but I did see her walking towards the t-shirt place. She didn’t see me but I saw her. I ran up and hugged her. I’ll remember that moment for a long time too.
Alright I’m going to wrap this up. I just thought this was going to be a short email with some updates.
I just want to say thank you so much to everybody. You have supported us in so many different ways both with donations and encouragement.
The Team In Training participants in the Nike Marathon raised over 16 million dollars. You were a part of that and we thank you.
Thank you especially to my Mom and Dad. You guys were inspirational during the last few months with everything you’ve done.
We love you all.
Derek and Crystal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment