Well, we leave this Friday bright and early for San Francisco! I CANNOT believe that it is here already! The training and time has gone by really fast or faster than I thought. Tonight, Derek and I went to our "Send Off Party." We got all our goodies...such as our racing jersey, travel information, iteneraries, etc. Then different people said a few words about the weekend and what to do and not do (i.e. don't forget your running shoes!).
First, let me thank each and every one AGAIN for the donations to the cause. Derek and I have been able to raise a total of $11,963.80 to date. I remember when we signed up we were first hoping to make the minimum of $7,800 and then maybe get an extra $1,000 toward the cause. We NEVER would have imagined that we would be able to say that our friends and family would help us get to almost $12,000! THANK YOU! (As a the Nike Marathon team, we have raised over $300,000!!!)
As I am reflecting on this whole experience, I have so many emotions running through me. Maybe it is the nerves or something, but this experience has been an absolute wonderful one. When I signed up to do a marathon, I myself thought I might be a little nuts for taking on this challenge. I looked at it as a goal, an outlet for all that is going on, a way to give back, a way to fight cancer with my Mom and way to have control over an uncontrollable situation. It is still all of those things, but it is has taught me a lesson in life that I have always "heard," but never got it until now. The most rewarding thing is to give back or to help others that you do not know who you are helping. I have never really dedicated so much time and energy into giving to others and I can honestly say that it has been a blessing and amazing experience. I do not think that you can force someone to do it and maybe that is why I never got it until now because it was my choice to pursue this. BUT I can say that I wish I would have done it sooner. I am not talking about doing a marathon, but giving back to the our society.
Now, the hard part of this blog for me...I have been thinking about what to write about my Mom for sometime since we started this process. I wrote early on about Taylor Brewton, but never about my Mom. It was not that I did not want too, but I am not sure that I could put into words what I really wanted to say or do her justice for all that she has done for our family and me personally. (I still do not know if I can!) My Mom is an amazing woman, she would not tell you that but she is. She is one of the strongest women that I have ever met. I am not talking just being able to physically endure chemo, but her character is strong. She has taught me how to love unconditionally, listen when I need to listen and stand-up for myself when I need too. She is my best friend. We can have the most random conversations and no one else may get it, but we get it. We can vent about anything and everything with each other. We can get mad or irritated with each other, but get it over. She is a rock in my life and someone that I know that I can ALWAYS count on. I cannot tell you how much that has meant to me. I can call her and tell her my failures and successes and I know she will always be there. I love her dearly and I know she loves me too.
So this Sunday during those 26.2 miles, it is not about a finishing with some record time. It is about honoring my Mom and Taylor. It is about Hope. Hope that the money raised across the country will help win this battle over cancer. It is about Courage. The Courage I know my Mom faces each time she gets chemo and every 6 weeks gets tested. And finally it will be about Faith. I have the Faith that I will finish this event and I have the Faith that my Mom will overcome this battle and continue to teach me about life and being a strong woman.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Excellent entry. I hope the run went well! I can't wait to hear about all of it!
spoken from your heart. you and derek both achieved something very few people ever do. i say again how proud i am of both of you, and especially for doing this together. what an amazing bond!
prayers continue for you both and Gayle.
Post a Comment