Well, today was an eventful day. Our next door neighbors, Lauren and Michael went to a concert so we watched their doggies (Maggie, Tuhla and Mack II). They were hilarious and got along great with our farm. But that is a different story that I will let Crystal tell.
My story happens this morning (Sunday). I got up to go let their dogs out to pee and such. We played around for about 30 minutes or so. I came back to let our dogs out (didn't want them to all be out together as that would wake up my wonderful wife and son). Aren't I so thoughtful.
Crystal and Landon got up and I was changing his diaper. Crystal let Miller and Pokey back in and said "have you looked outside?" I said no. To this she replied, "there is a dead possum in the backyard." I laughed but she was serious. Guess who was on possum duty?
Apparently with the joy of fatherhood also comes possum duty.
So I venture to the backyard armed with nothing but a cup of coffee. As I looked at the deceased rodent I started to think about from where the phrase "playing possum" was derived. Now I realized I needed a weapon just in case he wasn't really dead. I re-entered the backyard packing a shovel and a plastic trash can. I felt like a gladiator of sorts. Actually, I was kinda like Charleton Heston in Omega Man (what movie is that quote from). I tossed the trash can near the possum expecting it to jump up and run out. No movement. My ninja instincts came back to me very easily. Luckily Donovan and I watched "Enter the Ninja" about 800 times. Wish I had those throwing stars we bought from the Soldier of Fortune magazine but I digress.
I eased up to Mr. Possum and poked him with the shovel. No movement. His eyes and mouth were open. Kinda scary even for someone raised on the mean streets of Dale, OK. He must have just passed on to the next plane.
Now I was thinking how to get him out of the backyard. I was still not completely convinced that the little sucker was dead. Using the shovel I moved him into the trash can. Now it was time to find a resting place for Mr. Possum. It was not going to be in the large trash can so I deciding on letting him lay in the field down from our house.
Did I mention I was golfing about 30 minutes after this excitement commenced? Now I realize I have to leave for the course ASAP so I hotfoot it to the field with Mr. Possum in the trash can. The entire time I am thinking he is going to jump out and bite my toes off. Luckily nothing like that happened.
One thing that did happen was Crystal sat inside and made fun of me while the whole thing went down.
After golf I went down to the area of Mr. Possums resting place and took a few photos and a video.
Enjoy.


No comments:
Post a Comment