Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Two Weeks...Really??

It cannot be! Landon is 2 weeks old today. That is just crazy to me. The last 14 days have been so long but have also flown by at the same time. I have a feeling that this will be the new trend in our lives from here on out.

So, I have not posted since the arrival of Landon Cory. It has been crazy around here with labor, in the hospital, out of the hospital and then in the hospital. THEN finally back out and home.
I will start from the beginning...prepare for a long post.

On December 15th (Monday), we went to the doctor for my check-up. I was originally due on the 12th. I had reached the miserable, annoyed and irritable phase times ten by this point. I just did not understand why labor had not begun and I was very uncomfortable. Well, at our appointment I had progressed a little from the previous week, and the doctor tried to help the situation at the visit. He said that if I did not go into labor on my own by Tuesday (16th) night then I was to report to the hospital to start induction.

Needless to say, we showed up to the hospital on Tuesday night. I was given cervidale (spelling?) to start softening my cervix. It was not painful and the process began. At 4:30am I woke up to some cramping and being uncomfortable...well, then I felt a pop! I thought, "Did my water just break?" Then the nurse came in the room because the monitors were off. I told her and sure enough my water had broken on its own. The only problem was there was some mecomium (spelling?) in the fluid...meaning the baby had pooped and had come under some sort of distress. They knew that his umbilical cord was being clamped during contractions but he was bouncing back ok and they were monitoring it.

So, the doctor came in to check things out that morning later, and I was still only 1 cm dilated (just like when I came in) and was 100% effaced. So I was given about an 1 hour to progress on my own, and if not then they would start pitocin. It is to make the contractions harder, stronger and closer together. The medicine is increased every 30 minutes. I REALLY did not want this. This was the one thing that scared me to get because I had heard it was so hard to go natural with this medicine and it was suppose to be very painful. My girlfriend, Stephanie was in the room during all of this and she assured me that they would turn it off it got to be too much. I was crying at this point because I did not want it. (Needless to say Stephanie lied to me to calm me down...they do not turn that stuff off...just turn it up!)

On a pain scale I was uncomfortable but was tolerating things fine pre-pitocin. Once it started is when the hell began. Now my knowledge of time is a little blurry but it was around 12:30 or 1pm when they started it. Well shortly there after I was in so much pain. Tears, crying, tense, constant contractions that would not stop or allow me to rest. I was holding on to the bed for dear life. Derek and Steph were telling me to breath and doing all the things that I had asked them to do before hand. Finally after a couple of hours, I just could not do it anymore. I thought, "What if this goes on for 10 more hours? I cannot make it." So, I finally gave in to the epidural...again something else I did not want, but I WANTED the pain to end. I could not breathe at this point.

Around 3pm or so, they came to give me the epidural. Contractions were stronger and I had to sit through it still as they inserted the needle in my back. Finally, I thought relief is around the corner. NOPE! The epidural only worked on my left side. I felt every contraction in full force on my right side. REALLY?? Why is this not working? They informed me they could pull it out a little to see if it helped but there was a chance it would come out completely and would have to do it all over again. I did not care at this point, just stop the pain. But I did ask, "So if it comes out and you have to put another one in. Are you going to charge me for 2 epidurals?" The answer was no, you only get charged for one. It has a warranty.

They did not have to put another one in because they were able to pull it out a little and solve the problem. So after it worked they checked me and I was ONLY at a 1 1/2 to 2 cm. THAT WAS IT??? After the disappointment of not progressing, I began to feel better from a pain point.

Then I started feeling some pressure and uncomfortable again about an hour later. The nurse came in and I was at a 6cm! 2 to 6 in an hour!!! Woohoo! Progress. Another hour or so went by and I was at a 9cm. I could not believe it. We were about to have a baby and this was going to be over soon! The baby was tolerating labor fine, but he was still dipping during contractions and they had placed an internal monitor on him to keep an eye on him.

So around 5:45pm they started to have me push. Landon Cory was born at 6:55pm. He weighed 8lbs 2 oz and was 22 inches long. He came out a little cone head or as my doctor put it "unicorn."

Landon did not make it easy at all. He was OP...face up and crooked. Babies are suppose to be face down. I was informed that is the most painful way to deliver and most have a c-section when they are like that. Also, he came out fast...which caused another problem. He also had the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times. It was loose and Derek said the doctor unwrapped it before he ever came all the way out.

When Landon came out they placed him on my chest and I sobbed. I have never cried like that before. It was tears of relief, pure joy, happiness, love and pure awe. I remember looking at Derek and Landon thinking this is what we have been waiting and praying for. Then finally the doctor and Stephanie said, "It's a boy!" It never dawned on me to ask. I did not care. At that moment I just wanted our baby to be ok. Derek and I cried together. It was a moment that was so special and so pure. I had been told how incredible birth was but words do not justify it.

So, they took Landon to get checked out. He was still in the room, and I could see him. The doctor worked on me and everyone was ok. Shortly thereafter I began to have blood pressure issues. They thought I might need a transfusion, but I did not. I was being monitored for the low blood pressure I was having. They were able to resolve the issue a few hours later.

So that is how Landon entered this world. It was painful and hard...nothing like I have ever done before, BUT worth every bit of effort. I would do it all over again if I had too for this little guy.

To be continued....with the next part of the challenges we faced after he was born. (I am tired and it is time to feed Landon.)

No comments: