Saturday, October 06, 2007

Updates

Below are the emails that I have sent out over the past week. In case I had neglected anyone through email I wanted to post it on here so anyone I missed contacting would know what is going on.


My Mom Fri 9/28/2007 3:39 PM

Hello,
I just wanted to touch base with everyone and update you all on my Mom. I
apologize now for sending this information over email & being brief but I am
typing this on my cell phone.
Over the last week my Mom has become very sick. It started about a week or
so ago with her liver enzymes being elevated & the doctors believing the
cancer was gaining control. She was disqualified from the chemo treatment in
which she was to start a week ago. She was immediately set-up to start
another treatment that wasn't based on how healthy her liver functions were.
We were to come back this
past Monday & she was to start treatment on Tuesday. Over the weekend prior
to us coming down she became very fatigued & weak. She stayed in bed most of
the time trying to rest and I think began experiencing some pain. She
doesn't complain all that much but said she ached a lot. By the time Monday
arrived the doctor said she needed to check into the hospital. Her liver
enzymes were still high but
so were her white blood cell counts and her billyrubbins. These numbers
indicated an infection & a blockage some where. Over the course of the next
few days & testing, it was determined her stint was blocked by her tumor
growing over or around it. Yesterday she underwent a procedure that went
through her side into through her liver to the ducts to drain the bile.
This is above the tumor & stint so
it is bypassing all these. It was critical to get the bile out & lower her
billyrubbin count. Her blood pressure had finally stabilized to allow her to
undergo the procedure.
She is being monitored & given lots of antibiotics to help fight off the
infection. The blood tests also showed she had bacteria in her blood...don't
remember the name of it but it means she is septic. Over the next few days
it will show whether the antibiotics are working or not.
The doctors also told my mom (because she asked) how long she had. As my Mom
explained to me it is now a matter time being talked in days & weeks as
opposed to months.
Right now we are here until at least Monday hoping my Mom can undergo
another procedure to help drain the bile & hoping the meds are working. Our
trip to NM was planned for a week from today & there is still some hope she
might get to go. It is a waiting game now.
Thank you to those that have called or emailed. Our family appreciates it
all. Again I apologize for breaking the news over email & for any vagueness
as my mind is racing.
With Love,
Crystal



Monday Update on Gayle Mon 10/1/2007 9:15 AM

Hey,I'm over at the hospital. They are hoping to do a procedure today. To paraphrase it - Gayle's bile drainage seems to have slowed and her billyrubbins have creeped back up. They are hoping to go in and unstop and/or reroute the bile flow from her liver. It basically is to bypass the pancreas since the tumor has grown. One of the risks of the procedure is that it will mix up up the toxins in her blood. That is what causes her to be septic.She's about to get platelets now and we should find out about the procedure when the doctor comes by later.I'll keep you updated.Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Derek

Monday Update on Gayle Mon 10/1/2007 4:24 PM

Good Afternoon-
They just finished the procedure. They were able to get the drain to go into
her intestine. she will still have the bag to monitor the drain but it
could be eventually capped & be without a bag. The ducts that were dilated
last week had gone down so they are not sure if it may be the disease in the
liver or what. She received a platelet transfusion also today because her
level had dropped. Her
infection has gone down as well though.
She is in recovery right now & we are just waiting to see her.
Love,
Crystal




Headed home Thu 10/4/2007 11:31 AM

good morning,
I just wanted to let you all know that we are headed back to new braunfels
today. An ambulance is transporting us home this afternoon. My Mom has been
discharged & we are waiting for the ambulance to pick us up.
Hospice services have been set-up & they will be waiting for us when we get
home. My Mom & us feel comfortable with hospice, but we were assured if we
needed anything we could call MD Anderson.
We know several of you have offered to help by offering to stay but at this
time we don't anticipate the need for help. We have the hospice services & my
Mom really needs some rest & privacy. Its been a long week & we are all
looking forward to being in our own home, town, and less intrusions. We will
let people know if we need anything but right now getting my Mom settled in
is our first
priority.
I will try to keep everyone updated on how she is. Right now any pain she
has is being controlled and seems to be comfortable.
Thank you for the continued support, love & prayers for our family.
Love,
Crystal


Made it home Fri 10/5/2007 12:42 PM

Hello,
I just wanted to let you know we made it home ok. My Mom did well in the
ambulance ride & was able to rest. Hospice & my friends had everything
set-up for us by the time we got home. Her pain has been managed since we
have been home so far. She actually seems more talkative & felling better
some since we've been back. She's happy to be back in familiar territory.
I had to change the bandage around her line today & that was a little nerve
racking but we managed to get it done together. It wasn't the prettiest &
used several supplies before I got it done but it got done. :)
hope everyone is well & I will talk to you all soon.
Love-
Crystal

No comments: