Friday, December 07, 2007

Johnny Cash = Mom

I know you have think I lost my mind.....but let me explain.

One night when it was really late, my Mom and I were driving home from Houston. I was tired and driving....trying to stay awake because we both wanted to be home. My Mom did not want to sleep because she knew I was tired and so she stayed up with me.

Now, no one in our family can carry a tune or have any rhythm...we missed that when it was being handed out. My Mom and I always watched American Idol together and joked that we should try out. So, I said on the way home "how about I sing to you?" I told her I had been practicing....completely jokingly. I proceeded to scroll through her CD player in her car. By the way not many choices....but Johnny Cash was in there. So I "sang" it! I use the term singing very loosely, by the way. My Mom joined in the singing where I did not know the lines...which was more often than not. We laughed and sang together through the whole CD.

Who knew now when I hear Johnny Cash that I would remember that long tired drive home? I can still see her telling me to just keep practicing and do not try out for American Idol quite yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you know, it will be the little unexpected things in day to day life that will bring back a memory and good times you had w/your mom.