Thursday, May 10, 2007

Update 5.10.07

Good Evening -

I hope this email finds everyone doing well. I just wanted to send out an update because it has been a while since I have.

Well, my Mom finished her second cycle of chemo today. Today was her last day on her chemo pills for this cyle. She has one more cyle to do before her testing to see if it is working. Her tests will be the second week of June. Fortunately, she is getting an extra week break between cycles this time. She usually has one week break, but she gets 2 weeks before she has to start back up again. Her side-effects have been pretty rough with this chemo. The Xeloda (the chemo pills) have been the worse for her. This drug comes out through your skin. The first cyle it came out through her neck so to speak. It looked as if she had a horrible sunburn on her neck. She had several mouth sores and a severe sore throat. This cycle (the second) she has not had many mouth sores but her hands and feet are swollen and blistered looking. It is painful to walk or touch things....and the neuropathy is still bad in her hands and feet, too. Fatigue has been really bad. She does have good days too, but toward the end of the cyle she is severely fatigued and the chemo has taken its toll. Her hair has begun to thin, and it has not fallen out yet, but it probably will in a week or so.
My Mom's spirits are good. She is really tired, but she is still trucking through the chemo. It takes some encouragement and a look at the big picture, but she is doing it. So hopefully she will begin feeling better tomorrow both mentally and physically.

Derek is in the Middle East. Yes, the Middle East...you read right! There are Carino's there and he has been there since last Friday. He is actually in Kuwait right now, but leaves to go to Bahrain in the morning. He is coming home on Monday!! I am really ready to see him. Most of you know that I am fine when he is gone on business trips, but I guess it is because he is overseas or something. I miss him a lot! AND I can't wait to see my fun gifts! HA! I will post pictures when Derek gets back of his trip.....he went to the Pyramids. How lucky!!

Derek's marathon is right around the corner too. It is June 3rd in San Diego. He is missing his 20 mile run this Saturday! He is upset about it, and I think a little stressed about the running or lack of when he is out of the country. I know he will do great and he knows what to expect. He has been training and I will be there cheering him on....if I don't get lost driving the car in San Diego. We are gonna stay for the week when we go out there. I am really ready for a little vacation. We have never been to San Diego so it should be fun. We are going to the zoo and Sea World. We are gonna see the Padres play one night. Other than that I am not sure what else we will do. I am sure we (or should I say "I") will do a little shopping!

I am still doing LA Weightloss. As of today, I am down 30.2 lbs and 20 inches in 12 weeks! Woohoo! (Notice I did stress my .2lbs, too. It is just as important as that .2 miles in a marathon!) So I celebrated today with a carne guisada breakfast taco....ok, not the way to celebrate I know! Actually just gave in to temptation.....and it was really good! I have 11 more weeks left on LA Weightloss. My goal is 15 more pounds....but I would not complain if more pounds left! I am still working at Clear Springs. It is going good. Summer is almost here, so it will be busy busy!

One last request please, my friend, Leanna is having brain surgery tomorrow morning. She has a tumor that has to be removed. It is a routine procedure apparently....but it is still brain surgery. So please say a little prayer for her and a speedy recovery. She is a GREAT girl and very very dear friend. She has been there for me a lot through the years.

Thank you for your prayers for her and my Mom! I know I say this every time, but I MEAN it. Thanks for to each of you for the continued prayers and support. We appreciate all that each of you do.


Love you all!
Crystal

No comments: